Make your own vegan-friendly soy milk
Have you tried making your own soy milk? It’s easy, inexpensive, dairy-free and vegan friendly. The biggest benefits of making your own soy milk is that you can make it from non-GMO, Australian soy beans and without processed sugars or additives and preservatives. A little bit of vanilla extract and a few dates is all you need to have a healthy, natural sweetened soy milk.
Making soy milk is easy. You need to soak your seeds, blend and sieve (see recipe below). The leftover soy pulp (okara) can be used for other recipes meaning that there’s no waste. We like stir frying okara with tamari, onion and garlic. You can also use it for smoothies, baking or vegan scrambled eggs or omelette.
- One cup of non-GMO soy beans.
- Vanilla extract or 1-2 dates, for sweetness (depending on personal taste).
- Soak soy beans overnight.
- Drain and rinse.
- Blend with 4 cups of water and dates or vanilla extract.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Sieve and strain through a nut milk bag.