Alfalfa sprouts have a mild and nutty taste. Add them to salads, raw food dishes and sandwiches.
- One litre glass sprouting jar.
- Two tablespoons of non-GMO, non-hybrid and not chemically treated (preferably organic) alfalfa seeds.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SPROUTING ALFALFA SEEDS
- Rinse 2 tablespoons of seeds in cool water.
- Add seeds to your glass sprouting jar. Top up with water. Soak for 3 – 6 hours.
- Drain the water from your seeds, using the sprouting lid (strainer) in your jar. Rinse with cool water for at least a few minutes.
- Place your jar upside down in a bowl or in a dish drainer, and leave to drain for 8-12 hours.
- Rinse well.
- Keep your jar out of sunlight for the first 3 days until the tiny sprout tails emerge.
- After 3 days, move your sprouting jar to a position with indirect sunlight (direct sunlight will wilt your sprouts). The light will ‘green up’ your sprouts.
- Your alfalfa sprouts will be ready for harvest in 3-5 days.
- The yield is approximately 1.5 – 2 cups of fresh, living sprouts.