Australian Organic Sunflower Seeds – Bulk & Heirloom
Sunflower microgreens are a versatile green that can be added to smoothies, juices, sandwiches, salads, or as a topping for a range of dishes.
- Popular microgreen variety with chefs, the health-conscious market, and at farmers’ markets.
- A high yield, profitable crop. A 10 x 20″ growing tray yields approx. 480 – 900 grams of microgreens.
- Once sprouted, the nutritional content of these seeds is four-fold.
- Protein content: 20 – 25%.
- Contains a range of vitamins including A, B, C, D, and E.
- Contains calcium, iron, and amino acids.
How to Grow Sunflower Microgreens
Difficulty to grow: Sunflower is easy to germinate but requires attention to ensure that they develop roots.
Growing medium: Soil or coir peat. Difficult to grow hydroponically.
Soaking: Soak 250 grams of seeds (for a 10 x 20″ growing tray) for 8 – 12 hours. These seeds will float to the surface of the water, and won’t soak evenly without a bowl or lid placed on top to keep them submerged.
Sprouting: Sprout for one day, using a sprouting jar, tray, or hemp sprouting bag. Keep moist. Sprouting softens the hard shell and improves germination.
Growing temperatures: Sunflower thrives in warm, sunny weather and growth can be difficult during the cooler months. The ideal germination temperature is 20 – 25 °C.
Tray growing: Add 2 – 3 cm of soil or coir peat to a 30 x 35 cm growing tray. Flatten soil with a tray or small block of wood. Moisten soil with water. Sprinkle seeds evenly over the surface of the soil. Ensure that the seeds do not overlap, as this may lead to rot or mould. Press seeds into the soil or cover the seeds with a fine layer of soil. This step helps remove the tough seed coating from the cotelydons. Water lightly using a spray mist bottle.
Cover seeds with a growing tray. Store in a well-ventilated, dark spot to germinate. Water 1 – 2 times daily. Keep covered until the seeds germinate (approximately 4 – 5 days). The sunflower shoots will slightly raise the top tray, indicating that they have taken root and are ready to be exposed to sunlight.
Remove the top tray and expose it to indirect light. Water twice daily. Do not overwater. Your harvest is ready within 7 – 14 days.
Click here to read more about sunflower microgreens, including troubleshooting & growing tips.
- Organic seed variety.
- Grown in Australia.
- No chemical treatment | No GMO’s.
- Variety: Sunbird (heirloom) | Grey Striped.
- Botanical name: Helianthus annuus.
- We do not ship seeds to Western Australia or Tasmania due to quarantine restrictions.
Our seeds come with a satisfactory germination rate guarantee for 3 months from date of purchase if stored correctly. Store seeds in a cool, dry place (under 10°C) or in an airtight container in the fridge.